NADOI, established in 1965, is the oldest certifying organization for dog training instructors. Our members teach people to train their dogs. Each member has proven they have the knowledge and ability to effectively train dogs, and to teach people.
To apply for Membership, you must have at least two years experience in training dogs and some experience in teaching classes or private lessons.
Certified Membership requires:
- Successful completion of the Membership Application
- At least five years' experience in dog obedience training
- At least two years as a full-charge instructor
- Worked with a minimum of 100 dogs
- Group instructors must have taught at least 104 class hours; private instructors 288 hours.
Each applicant submits a written essay-type application. This application evaluates:
- Knowledge of general dog behavior
- Ability to deal with specific training problems
- Knowledge and use of training methods
- Teaching and training skills
Provisional Membership may be offered to those applicants who do not meet all the requirements for certified membership. Provisional members may not vote, or hold office. However, they receive all the publications and other benefits of membership. Provisional membership is limited to three years, while the member works toward fulfilling the Membership requirements.
Members may apply for Additional Certifications after six months of membership. Additional certifications currently offered by NADOI are Puppy, Novice, Open, Utility, Tracking, and Basic Agility
Dues and Fees
- Application fee - $75 (non-refundable)
- Annual Dues - $70 per year for Individual or first Family member
- Each additional family member in same household - $35.00
- Additional certifications fee - $15 for each certification
- Provisional member upgrade-to-Certified application fee - $15